Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In Case You Were Wondering

A year ago in August, on Megan's first day of 9th grade, I took a picture of her getting ready for school.  When I downloaded the picture from the camera and looked at it, I got smacked right between the eyes with a realization!  A very ugly realization!



I didn't write about it here, but I did say something on Facebook about it.  It was one of those things that you just become oblivious to.  I'd looked at it every day, for 10 YEARS, and no longer saw it.

That towel over the back door's window.

Ugh. That thing needed to go!

I was determined that another 10 years would not pass with that towel being used as a curtain.  Originally, we put it up when we moved into the house, and intended to use it only until I could find a curtain I liked.  Yep, that plan didn't work out so well.

So, I went shopping.  I didn't find any window curtains I liked.  They were either all way too big, or were the type that wouldn't cover the entire window.  I was faced with a choice...either buy a big one and alter it, or start from scratch and make my own.  After looking around for a few weeks, in town, out of town, and on the internet, I just didn't find anything I was crazy about.

I wasn't excited about any of the fabric I saw, but decided on some and bought it.  But I just wasn't into it that much, and, you guessed it, the curtain didn't get made.  A couple of months later, we were in a town with a Hobby Lobby store, and I looked through their fabrics.  I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I knew I just wasn't really seeing it.  I found some that I kind of liked and thought would work, so I bought it.  Again, got it home, just not crazy about it, and no curtain got made.

Every so often over the next year, I'd look at that towel, think some grumpy thoughts, and then go back to ignoring it.

Then, a wonderful thing finally happened!  In November 2012, a Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts store opened in my town!  Hooray!  One of the first things I did was go through their fabrics.  Rats.  Didn't find any I liked.  But about a week later, I checked again.  And, Yes!  In the sale pile, I found just what I was looking for!  I bought this wonderful fabric, took it home, and within a couple of days, I had time to make my curtain.



Ah, what a relief it was to finally say goodbye to that old towel!  Never fear, I didn't throw it away, or have a special sacrificial ceremony and burn it, as tempting as that was.  It got added to the "car towel" pile, and it is happily right at home there.

I know some of you saw and commented on that original Facebook post, so there you go.  As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story".  Just in case you were wondering...and even if you weren't!  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment