Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Waterfalls

I love waterfalls. Big, little, splashy, trickles, running over a cliff, or just oozing out of a rock wall. I have never met a waterfall I didn't like! I have seen them from the road, out the window of an airplane (Niagara Falls), taken walks to view them, and last summer we went on a hike that was just over 2 miles to view Fairy Falls in Yellowstone. It is a trail that's off the beaten path, not well publicized, so not many people make the hike to Fairy Falls. While the trail got a bit rough at times, it wasn't too bad. The view was well worth the hike, and while I appreciated getting away from the crowds at the more well-known sights in Yellowstone, I think anyone not getting to see this waterfall is missing out.


Chad, taking a picture of me, taking a picture of Fairy Falls, Yellowstone National Park.

I don't know why I am so fascinated by waterfalls. I do remember my love for them really began when I was 9-years-old. We moved to the Durango, Colorado area for my dad's job, and we lived in apartment complex for the first few months that was about 20 miles outside of Durango, and just past a small town named Hermosa. There was a waterfall flowing over the face of a cliff and visible from the highway as we passed by Hermosa. Every time we went to town and then back home, I had to make sure I saw it. A couple of years later, we were visiting someone who lived practically at the foot of that waterfall, and it was absolute heaven for me to get an up close and personal look at it. It seemed my heart would burst with joy and excitement! I don't think I will ever forget that first close-up encounter with a waterfall.

It is a fairly short but steep hike to the base of Treasure Falls, Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado.

Waterfalls are soothing. On a hot day, the cool mist surrounding a fall is rejuvenating. The roar from a large waterfall, and watching the rushing waters tumble over the edge are hypnotic. I could spend all day at some of my favorite waterfalls and never grow tired of it! As far as natural wonders go, waterfalls are at the top of my favorites list.

Brink of the Lower Falls, Yellowstone National Park. That's an over 300 foot drop! Niagara Falls is only about half of that.

Splashing over the edge of the Lower Falls.

A painting by 15-year-old daughter, Megan, of the Lower Falls.

Tower Fall, Yellowstone National Park

Rustic Falls, Yellowstone National Park

I could go on and on with the waterfall photos from Yellowstone. I have more pictures of quite a few more falls, but this post is getting long already...

A dream vacation for me would be to tour all over and visit waterfalls. That could get expensive, traipsing all over the place, but while I'm dreaming, I'm just going to ignore that part of it. I hope someday to be able to take a grand waterfall tour, and see some of the most beautiful examples this earth has to offer. Denali National Park, Yosemite National Park, and several locations around Hawaii are just a few of the places on my waterfall wish list.

What is your favorite natural wonder?

2 comments:

  1. I like that you had Chad in the Fairy Falls photo--it really gives perspective on the height of it. I'm just sorry I can no longer make that kind of hike, so I enjoy it as best I can via your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! Megan must have your love of waterfalls as well.

    ReplyDelete