Thursday, May 3, 2012

Walking with Sam

My friend, Gwen, is out of town.  She's on her way to Texas, where she will go on a two day, 153 mile bicycle ride, to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.  While she's gone, I'm taking care of her house and pets.  One of her dogs is a golden retriever, named Samantha, "Sam" for short, but I usually call her "Sammy Roo".  Don't ask me why, because I don't know.  I just always have.  She doesn't mind, and even seems to like it, as evidenced by the wagging tail when I call her that.

Miss Samantha, ready to go on a nice, long walk.

Sam is the sweetest girl ever, and I love to take her for walks.  Today, we left her house, walked to the town cemetery, walked all around there, then back to her house.  The walk was wonderful, the weather exactly right for a long walk, but the neatest thing was the distance; exactly two miles!  I know this because I was wearing a GPS watch that keeps track of my walking distance.  I've ever managed an exact mileage before, so that was fun.  Another fun factoid, for me anyway, is that part way through today's walk, the watch started beeping at me.  I thought I'd done something wrong, but, no.  It was beeping to let me know that it had reached a total distance of 100 miles!  Now before you get all excited and feel too proud of me, most of those miles belong to my husband.  He's a runner, and the watch is really his, but he sweetly lets me borrow it.  Sammy Roo was absolutely jubilant about being part of the 100 miles reached!  Ok, maybe she was jubilant because I sounded happy as I told her about it, and she got some extra scratches behind the ears out of the deal...

Perfect day, a perfect walk, with a perfect companion dog.  Doesn't get much better than that!

1 comment: