Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Slightly Scorched

Ever feel like you're standing on the face of the sun?  The past few days, it sure has felt that way to me.  On Sunday, we topped out at 107° F, which was a new record for the entire month of June.  Yesterday we got lucky and had some thunderstorms around that kept it down to 105°, but we didn't get even a drop of rain from any of those storms.  Today, it hit 98° by 11 a.m., there are no clouds in sight, so I wonder how high the temperature will go this afternoon.  We are also having a very windy day, so the vegetation is getting very dry, and our area is on alert for the possibility of fires.  On Sunday when it got so hot, it was 82° at 9 a.m., but today, it was already up to 90° by that time.  I think we have a good chance of breaking the record again today, so we'll see.


It is too hot to be outdoors, which is just irritating.  I need to be out pulling weeds and tending to my gardens, but with the heat, it's just not going to happen.  I went out long enough to give my plants a drink of water, or they'd be wilted and some of them dead by sunset, and it was hard to breathe.  So, Megan and I are finding things to do indoors where we are thankful to have air conditioning.  But what to do?  Maybe fry an egg on the sidewalk?




I have a whole list of things that I do during the winter when being outdoors isn't really an option.  So why don't I do some of those things?  Well, because I don't really want to!  I could read a book, watch a movie, crochet, bead, do some sewing...none of that sounds appealing to me.  In fact, the very thought of trying to crochet in the summer makes me feel...icky!  I actually have a very strong aversion to crocheting in the summer.  Isn't that weird?  I think it's totally weird.  I don't know why I feel this way, but I always have.  It's kind of like the feeling I'd get if someone told me I'd have to eat liver.  Ewww!  No!  No summer crocheting!







In the end, I think maybe I'll do some extra stuff around the house, or read a book, and try to be patient while I wait for some cooler temperatures.

What do you do when it's too hot to be outdoors?

No comments:

Post a Comment