Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Best. Taco. Seasoning. Ever.


For years, I've messed around with making my own taco seasoning mix. I'm just not happy with the store bought stuff. It's got way too much garlic in it, and something else that just seems kind of strong (we are not onion and garlic fans). In the search for the perfect seasoning mix, I have tried many recipes, tweaked them, tweaked them more, and still wasn't satisfied.

All of that is finally over! I believe I have a slam dunk recipe for taco seasoning mix!

I was a little nervous to try it out on my family...they can be scaredy cats. I had to keep quiet about it being a new recipe, because if they even suspect I'm using them as guinea pigs, the jig will be up. They'll be so suspicious of what they're eating, I won't get honest feedback untainted by the taste of fear they've got going on! Adding to the intrigue, we had company; a friend of Megan's was visiting. I know! I'm terrible using a child not my own to experiment on. What can I say? I'm an adrenaline junky!

So, I was stealthy like a ninja about this being a new recipe and crossed my fingers as I served them their tacos.

Hooray! Almost instantly there were comments like, "Wow, these are good tacos!", and "I think these are the best tacos ever!" Every one of them went back for seconds. The new recipe was a hit!

After they'd tasted and liked, it was safe to admit that they were guinea pigs. With their mouths full of yummy taco, they didn't care in the least.




Taco Seasoning Mix

2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Put all ingredients into a ziploc baggie and shake until mixed well. 

Now the tricky part...how much to add? I just dumped some of it on my browned hamburger, added enough water to get it all thoroughly mixed (half a cup, maybe a little more?), then simmered for about 5 minutes. I tasted the meat mixture to see if it was enough, and it was.  I'm guessing it works out to being about half the recipe per pound of hamburger. Just be conservative, you can always add more if you need too.


If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!



1 comment:

  1. I will have to try it on our veggie crumbles...minus the cilantro. We had an unfortunate cilantro experience years back and now it ruins anything it is in. We are like cilantro bloodhounds.

    ReplyDelete